Note: I write under the name R.B. Young.
Since 2009, I’ve published short stories in a number of literary journals. See the examples below. Also, in 2018, Vocamus Press published my story “Eudaimonia” as a chapbook. The previous year, 2017, the editors of the book Polish(ed): Poland Rooted in Canadian Fiction chose to include my short story “Paper Icon.”
Chapbook, with illustrations by the author. Guelph: Vocamus Press, 2018.
In the book Polish(ed): Poland Rooted in Canadian Fiction, edited by Kasia Jaronczyk and Malgozata Nowaczyk. Toronto: Guernica Editions, 2017
“That’s Not Bhangra”
— In Ten Stories High, Vol. 17. St. Catherines, ON: Canadian Authors’ Association, 2017.
— In Other Voices, Vol. 23, No. 2. Edmonton, 2011.
In Great Lakes Review, Issue 2. Chicago/Toronto: Spring 2013.
In Postscripts to Darkness 2. Ottawa, 2012.
- All in a Day, CBC Radio, 2012. Discussion on launch of Postscripts to Darkness anthology featured my short story “Old Softie.”
FREELANCE BOOK REVIEWS
- “Blue River and Red Earth,” by Stephen Henighan. The Guelph Mercury-Tribune, 28 April 2018.
- “The Hesitation Cut,” by Giles Blunt. Bookshelf Reviews, 10 August 2015.
- “England and Other Stories,” by Graham Swift. Bookshelf Reviews, 15 June 2015.
- “The Fever,” by Megan Abbott. Bookshelf Reviews, 18 August 2014.
- “The Longings of Wayward Girls,” by Karen Brown. Bookshelf Reviews, 3 November 2013.
- “The Facades,” by Eric Lundgren. Bookshelf Reviews, 24 October 2013.
- “A Delicate Truth,” by John le Carré. Bookshelf Reviews, 25 July 2013.
- Honourable mention, Ten Stories High literary contest, Canadian Authors Association, Niagara Branch, 2017.
- Top-10 Shortlist, gritLIT, Hamilton, Ontario, 2011.
Mentor/Editor. “It’s All Write,” teen short-story contest hosted by the Guelph Public Library and Vocamus Press, 2016–17.
- Workshops at the Kingston WritersFest. 2019.
- Workshops with Toronto editor Brian Henry. 2013-16.
- Guelph writing group focused on literary short stories. Monthly, 2010–12.
- “Writing the Short Story,” one-week workshop with Alissa York, Summer Writing School, University of Toronto. 2009.
- Master in Environmental Studies, York University, Toronto, 1994.
- Bachelor of Architecture, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, 1988.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (Visual Art), York University, Toronto, 1983.